NOW ACCEPTING NEW MEMBERS.
SPOTS ARE LIMITED!
The Virtual Care Program is an online system that uses best practices to help you take control of your heart health. It will help you understand your current health situation and motivate you to manage and improve the risk factors that impact your health and well-being.
The program is available to people who are at risk for developing heart disease (due to poor lifestyle behaviours and medical risk factors) and patients who have established heart disease (virtual cardiac rehabilitation option). Interested in learning more about the Virtual Care Program? Download our brochure, poster, postcard or program summary.
How Virtual Care Works
Once you register, you will be asked to complete a series of questions about your health. Then you will be given access to the online platform and its many features.
The features in the platform include:
In addition to accessing these features, participants who are at moderate to high risk will be invited to connect with a health coach. The health coach will guide, support and encourage participants in improving and managing their risk factors through a personalized wellness plan. These participants will engage in a six-month program that includes nine health coaching sessions over the telephone.
Are You Eligible?
The Virtual Care Program is available for women and men 18 years of age and older. Only those with moderate to high risk classification based on risk factor reporting and those with established heart disease are eligible for the health coaching services.
How’s your heart health? Take the test...
How to Register
Busy lifestyle? No problem! Our mobile app helps you conveniently take charge of your heart health. Be sure to register an account first through the online system before downloading the mobile app.
How Can Healthcare Providers Get Involved?
Inform your patients
The Virtual Care Program encourages individuals to actively participate in the self-management of their own health and wellness with the support of their family, friends, advocates and healthcare providers. Therefore, no referrals are needed. Keeping patients informed of their condition, treatment history and “road map to health” is easy using our Circle of Care feature where patients can share their care plans with their circle of care. The conversation feature also allows for secure online communication between patients and their circle of care.
Become a partnered organization
We offer a “train-the-trainer” approach with the assistance of an Outreach Facilitator specialized in risk factor management and program integration from the UOHI Virtual Care Program.
- Phase 1: In-service and readiness assessment
- Phase 2: partnership agreement (including costing services)
- Phase 3: Training and program implementation
To facilitate successful implementation of the Program, the site must:
- Designate a representative to oversee implementation of the Program at your site, and to liaise with the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (program coordination and logistics),
- Designate staff to act as a health coaches, as needed. It is estimated that one fulltime health coach can manage up to 256 participants per year, completing all program assessments and coaching sessions. Each health coach must have a minimum of a health science background, advanced knowledge and understanding of CVD risk factors, and experience with risk factor management strategies through lifestyle modifications.
- Access to high-speed internet to support connection to the platform.
- Submit bi-annual program metrics to the University of Ottawa Heart institute.
For more information or to register in the Virtual Care Program, call the Prevention and Wellness Centre at 613-696-7071 or toll free 1-866-399-4432. We can also be reached via e-mail at email@example.com.
University of Ottawa Heart Institute
Prevention and Wellness Centre
40 Ruskin Street, Room H2353
Copyright © 2017. All Rights reserved. Powered by: NexJ Connected Wellness